Southwestern Chicken Salad Recipe
The zesty flavors of America's Southwest, combined with heart healthy steel cut oats and low fat chicken, make an appealing main course summer salad.
- 2 cup McCann’s® Traditional Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- 3 cup cubed, grilled, chicken breast
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced jicama
- 1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced, pickled, jalapeÃ±o chillies
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (low fat, if desired)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Place oatmeal on a baking sheet, with sides, in preheated oven.
- Toast, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Place in a heat proof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Allow to sit for about 20 minutes or until just tender but not gummy. Drain off excess liquid. Place drained oats in a clean kitchen towel and tightly squeeze to remove any remaining moisture.
- Combine chicken, oatmeal, onion, jicama, peppers, cilantro, garlic and jalapeno in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together mayonnaise and sour cream. Beat in lime and orange juice and stir into chicken mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve on a bed of lettuce.