Brown Butter Oats with Cauliflower and Hazelnuts
If you don't think creativity and oatmeal go together, you need to see how Chadwick Boyd gussies them up in this recipe. Our Traditional Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal is an incredible blank canvas for brown butter, roasted cauliflower and hazelnuts. It's hearty, unexpected, and a straight-up delicious meal - any time of day.
Recipe by Chadwick Boyd for McCann's Irish Oats. More Chadwick Boyd recipes can be found at www.chadwickboydlifestyle.com.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup McCann’s® Traditional Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- 4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter. Cook until brown and toasty, 5-6 minutes (careful not to burn). Add the oats and toast in the brown butter, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until the oats are just-tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Roast in the oven until soft and lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- To serve, place oats in a bowl, top with the cauliflower and hazelnuts. Garnish with parsley.
- Toasting the oats in brown butter is an easy way to give them a rich, savory flavor.
- Roast cauliflower (or any vegetable, like carrots, sweet potatoes or broccoli) while oats are cooking so everything comes together at the same time.
- Nuts add a nice crunch and texture to the dish. Hazelnuts are a classic pairing with brown butter, but you can use cashews, peanuts, oats – whatever suits your taste.